The Community Quilt will be on display at the 1st Street Community Center for the month of October. It is located on the main floor, down the hall going into the gymnasium.
October is Dyslexia Awareness Month and the Iowa chapter of the International Dyslexia Association and the Mount Vernon Masonic Lodge #112 partnered together to sponsor a community quilt that reflects upon the theme of literacy.
Each piece of art in the quilt was created by community members of all ages during the month of September at the Lincoln Hwy Arts Festival, a Girl Scout activity night and Mount Vernon Family Counseling. The squares on this quilt reflect what reading means for the people of our town and together make up this quilt to raise awareness of Dyslexia.
The Community Quilt will be on display at the 1st Street Community Center for the month of October.
We would like to extend a special thank you to the following;
- The Mount Vernon Area Arts Council for inclusion in the Lincoln Hwy Arts Festival
- Local members of the IDA and Mason’s for their time, use of equipment and donation of supplies
- Cornell College printing for providing quality and timely attention to our printing needs
- The First Street Community Center for providing display space for the month of October
- The local businesses, groups and individuals in the Mount Vernon community for their welcoming spirit and willingness to contribute to this project.
When you are here viewing the quilt, please take a bookmark to share with others to help them to learn the Truths About Dyslexia.